Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A 4th of July to Remember

Our 4th of July weekend started off super slow on Saturday. Patrick and I slept in and then did about as much as a sloth all day long. It was so nice to not have any plans and just be able to chill on the couch all day. We finally got out for a few minutes that night once I decided I wanted some Oreo’s and milk. So we all piled in the car for our trip to Publix. Yes…I said we…the dogs had to ride with us.

On Sunday Patrick and I got up and went to church then headed over to my grandmothers house for BBQ and lots of laughter. Apparently we wore ourselves out laughing so much that we had to take an hour and a half nap while everyone else carried on with the festivities. The nap actually paid off given the all nighter we ended up pulling.

Sunday night we had reservations at The Club for dinner and fireworks atop Vulcan. Perfect view, right?!?! Well it would have been had we gotten to see the fireworks. Instead we were eating dessert and guess what…a NUT was in my dessert (even though they said there were no nuts in it). Now for those of you that don’t know, I am extremely allergic to nuts. I mean “Fat Albert” allergic – tongues swells, throat closes, hives, etc. I look a little bit like Kevin James in Hitch if that gives you any idea. So off we go running to the car to try to get to St. Vincent’s. It’s about 8:30 so we thought we could make it. WRONG! We got stuck in all of the spectator traffic on Valley Ave. By this point I am totally freaking out because it’s getting difficult to breathe, so I sucked it up and called 911 to come find us. We ended up pulling over on the road that goes up to Vulcan – right underneath the fireworks. I was so hysterical that I didn’t even get to enjoy them – boo! The paramedics took me to the hospital and Patrick had to follow, but didn’t get there for a good 45 minutes because of all of the traffic. I got lots of good meds and they eventually found Ellie’s heartbeat (scariest moments of my life!). I was even able to experience my first round of contractions. Can I just say that if that wasn’t strong, then I am going to need an epidural at a ½ centimeter. Ouch! We finally got home around 2:00am and went to bed.

Monday morning I woke up pretty early and left Patrick in bed. I started getting a little worried because I hadn’t felt Ellie kick since they gave me some medicine around midnight. So I drank a little caffeine and ate some sugar….still nothing. So off we go to see my OB. Luckily he was able to find her heartbeat and get her to start moving around a little (which put my mind at ease). My blood pressure was back to normal, so hopefully all is well at this point. Say some prayers that this little girl does not get this awful allergy!

Here are a couple of pictures we took before all of the chaos...